Hilda Goldwag was born in 1912 to a Jewish family in Vienna. Her artist father, Moses Leopold Goldwag, died when she was nine. She attended Anna Schantruch Art Classes for gifted artistic children and, aged 14, helped paint murals for the new St Leitener Kindergarten. She graduated from the Graphiscme Staatslemtr und Versuchs Anmalt, Vienna with special commendation in 1938, but following the Anschluss (annexation of Austria), managed to secure a travel permit in March 1939, leaving for Scotland; tragically, the rest of her family perished in the Holocaust. In Glasgow in 1940 she met fellow refugee and lifelong friend Cecile Schwarzchild, both undertaking war work as turners at McGlashlan's engineering works. Postwar Goldwag was head designer at Friedlanders in Hillington, designing scarves for Marks & Spencer (1945-55). She was a freelance illustrator for Collins Publishers and later a part-time occupational therapist at Forresthall Hospital (1962-75). She resumed painting and exhibiting in the 1950s, working principally with oils and a palette knife and mostly working outside in situ, carrying both paintings and materials on the local buses. Her subjects included the nearby Forth and Clyde Canal, the tenements and warehouses of Cowcaddens and, from the 1980s, exuberant flower pieces, panoramic farm landscapes, waterscapes, and "imagined" figure paintings. She exhibited in Gourock, Greenock and at the Lillie Art Gallery, receiving awards from the Glasgow Society of Women Artists, and was a professional and exhibiting member of the Scottish Society of Women Artists, Paisley Art Club and Milngavie Art Club. In 2005, the exhibition Hilda Goldwag's Glasgow at the Collins Gallery. Her works are in public collections including Strathclyde University, the Scottish Jewish Archives Centre.
1 work/s by this artist from the collection are shown below. For a more detailed record and image please click on the link.